A Hate Crime in Buffalo, New York
New York has strong gun laws that prohibit the possession of assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines like the ones likely used in this attack. However, neighboring states like Ohio and Pennsylvania do not. One of the guns in the possession of the 18-year old shooter was reportedly purchased in Pennsylvania.
- New York Congressman Brian Higgins responds to the Buffalo shooting.
- Buffalo gunman became a racist killer online.
- Read SHV press statement here:
We agree with New York Congressman Higgins that a federal assault rifle weapons ban is long past due.
…other hate crimes in the past week.
- A Las Vegas man who the authorities say opened fire on a Taiwanese congregation at a Southern California church on Sunday May 15th was motivated by hatred. Dr. John Cheng who tried to stop the shooter was killed, plus 5 people were injured.
- In Dallas, a suspect was finally arrested for a shooting on May 12th where three Korean women were injured. The Police Chief suggests it could be part of a string of similar hate crime incidents targeting Asian businesses.